Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Inspiration- Music!

   Last night I saw Tegan & Sara and Paramore live at the White River State Park in Indianapolis. I have waited for over a year to be able to see T &S and I was much rewarded. I had a great time rockin' out and it made me think of all the music that inspires me and my creative process, so I thought I would share.

1. Bjork- I really love any music in another language, but her voice and her sound is so different and unique. Some songs are edgey, some are soothing and some are just darn right beautiful. She has an energy that allows me to clear my mind and focus only on being creative. Her music videos can be very inspiring from an artistic point of view too.

2. Emilie Simon- Again, I find French another beautiful language to listen to and her music is very earthy. In fact, I love listening to the movie, Amelie in the background for many of the same reasons. The cadence and rhythm of speech really get inside me without over-taking my brain. Her videos will also leave you a little breathless.

3. Tegan & Sara- This is a little edgier that my first two and in English, so it works well for painting. As a younger painter I used to love to listen to Ani Difranco, Sleater-Kinney and Mutabor. There was a lot of angst I needed to get out and all three help feed that energy.

4. Imogen Heap- This is another one in the same line as the first three, but there is poetry in the music that really appeals to me. You must be sensing a theme now that female vocalists really trigger something for me. There is this sense of power, mystery, admiration and emotion that I can really relate to with female vocalists whether they are Tori Amos, Janis Joplin, Dresden Dolls or Alanis Morissette. I could go on and on as my music collection is largely all-female, because I like surrounding myself in beautiful things.

*Here are some male vocals I enjoy, if you prefer: Coldplay, The Decemberists, Flogging Molly, Postal Service

Can you tell music is a big part of my life? Feel free to recommend any female OR male musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment