Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

What Sets My Dollhouses Aside From All The Others?


Environmental Impact
The creation of my dollhouses uses a lot less fossil fuels than the plastic, big box store versions available for purchase. Almost all of the materials used are handmade by me or someone else out of natural materials using traditional methods, which create a much smaller carbon footprint. They are also much more durable and able to last for generations thus creating less waste in the end. Also, as a business we are always looking for ways to reduce waste, combine shipping, buy local, use sustainable materials and do our best to make our products with as little impact on the Earth as we can.
One of A Kind
As a buyer you can rest assure than no one will ever have another dollhouse like yours. Every dollhouse I create comes out of unique vision and the effort it takes to make each one special means that no two will ever be the same. I also use locally available materials, which means that often times the same materials are not available again for replication. This is also not a product you will find in a corporate owned chain store or lined up on any shelf with twenty others like it. You can take pride in having a dollhouse with its own unique story and a life all its own.
Fads Fade!
Unlike many popular toys and products on the market right now, my dollhouses won’t fade with the next blockbuster movie or children’s television show. They are made and inspired by classic fairy tales that have been around for hundreds of years. They are also so versatile that they can be changed, added to, adapted to fit the whims of you or your child. My dollhouses are also made durable enough with metal hinges, quality materials and with children in mind to be passed on from generation to generation creating a family history inside every one. Think of it as not only a gift for your child, but also your grandchildren and possibly great grandchildren. You can have the power to inspire generations with my dollhouses that other plastic versions just can’t hold up to.
Educational Tools
As an educator, I cannot help creating things without this at the forefront of my mind. I try to use fairy tales as a basis for my dollhouses because they are stories that bridge the generation gap. They also feature lots of repetition, which makes it easier for kids to learn. Almost all stories are derived from the basic structure of these childhood stories and are often used in classrooms to teach beginning writing. I also take pride in making them as gender neutral as possible. Research shows that pretend and imaginative play is necessary for both boys and girls in developing social awareness. They learn to negotiate many situations through imaginative play that they may not otherwise be able to do. My dollhouses allow you and your children to create whole new worlds of wonder to share for years to come.

Cost Comparison
If you compare the costs of my dollhouses to those of comparable size, quality and amount of accessories then you can see how I have tried my best to save money when possible to create something unique and affordable. I often plan a season ahead and shop around to get materials on sale in order to pass this savings on to you. I also do my best find ways of creating things in the most efficient and cost effective way, because I don’t want my products to be absurdly unattainable to the average family. Not only are my dollhouses beautifully handmade with care and love, but you won’t find anything cheaper on any market for the same quality; I know because I have tried. Think of it as an investment in art, a family heirloom, the handmade movement, and with all the added benefits of low environmental impact and no labor exploitation.    
Supporting the Handmade Movement
The handmade movement is about many things, but most of all creating quality products and creating a personal relationship with the buyers. You don’t have to worry about the exploitation of labor inherent in so many of our daily purchases because you know exactly where this product came from, how it was created and by whom. There is no corporate agenda or stock market bottom lines to meet, so you can be assured that quality materials are being used and trust the seller’s intentions. You can also feel good about supporting artists and craftsman who might not otherwise be represented because their work doesn’t represent what the galleries and boutiques deem fashionable at the moment. Many people involved in the handmade movement do so out of love for their work and struggle as parents with regular 9-5pm jobs. You can find pleasure in supporting the work they do that brings them joy. When you buy handmade you become part of the movement, so don’t hesitate to join up and spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment